The „Kulturstiftung der Länder“, the Cultural Foundation of the German Federal States, is a non-profit foundation operating under civil law with the function of promoting and preserving art and culture of national significance for Germany. It receives the support of all 16 German federal states.
The Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and Media, the Minister of State at the Federal Foreign Office for International Cultural Policy, the Cultural Affairs Ministers of the States, the State Senators for Cultural Affairs and representatives of the municipal umbrella organisations have decided to establish a “German Contact Point for Collections from Colonial Contexts” at the Cultural Foundation of the German Federal States. The Contact Point is especially aimed at individuals and institutions from the countries and societies of origin. As the first point of contact, its intention is to open up access to information concerning collections from colonial contexts in Germany, offer advice and network relevant actors (more information can be found at http://www.kulturstiftung.de/german-contact-point-for-collections-from-colonial-contexts/).
The position of Research Associate (m/f/d) at the Cultural Foundation of the German Federal States for the „German Contact Point for Collections from Colonial Contexts“ is to be filled as soon as possible for a period of 36 months in a full-time position (currently 39 hours/week).
Your specific duties will include:
- The provision of well-founded, constructive information and advice within the framework of the information, advice, documentation, communication and networking functions performed by the Contact Point, in particular concerning relevant collections in Germany and institutions dedicated to preserving collections in Germany and their structures, procedures and working methods, including policies and guidelines, databases and online resources and funding opportunities available for measures, projects and collaborations;
- The initial scientific evaluation of enquiries and requests for return;
- The individual case-related forwarding of enquiries;
- Building networks and networking people and institutions at home and abroad;
- Providing functional support to the working group of the federation and states to concretise and further develop the fields of action and goals defined in the „Framework Principles for Dealing with Collections from Colonial Contexts“ meetings, specifically through the organisational and functional support of specialist forums in which experts from the countries and societies of origin participate;
- The collection, structuring, documentation, publication and statistical analysis of data and information;
- Project-internal communication with network partners and (potential) cooperation partners;
- The initiation of cooperation partnerships and the functional support of the same
What we expect from you (mandatory):
- Successfully completed studies (min. master’s degree) in a cultural, historical or ancient studies subject that relates to the functions performed by the Contact Point
- Several years of professional experience in a cultural heritage institution, preferably in museums
- Experience in the area of researching and/or determining provenance
- Familiarity with the structures and processes in place at civic institutions in Germany
- Very good knowledge of European colonial history and post-colonial theories
- Proven practical experience in project management
- Excellent moderation and mediation skills, as well as a service focus, flexibility and commitment
- A high level of independence, analytic ability, decision-making ability and the ability to work conceptually
- The ability to adopt the perspectives of the countries and societies of origin linked to collections from colonial contexts
- The ability to quickly familiarise yourself with new and challenging topics, combined with a high degree of initiative and responsibility
- The ability to work in a team, along with excellent social, communication and intercultural skills
- Excellent knowledge of German (C2)
- Very good knowledge of English (C1) and French (C1)
What we would like from you (optional):
- Knowledge of German and international law
- Confident presence in public, preferably with proven experience in public speaking
- Knowledge of Spanish (B2 min.) or knowledge (B2 min.) of one other language that relates to the function of the Contact Point
What you can expect from us:
- A varied job in a dynamic topical environment;
- Insights into the non-profit foundation sector;
- Payment according to TVÖD-Bund Pay Group 13;
- Additional benefits in line with VBL-West provisions;
- The chance to buy a discounted VBB company season ticket.
Would you like to work for us? Then we look forward to receiving your application!
The Cultural Foundation of the German Federal States expressly welcomes applications from people of all nationalities, Black People, and People of Colour. Wherever possible within the scope of its operations, the foundation offers family-friendly working conditions and guarantees equal opportunities for women and men. Severely disabled people are given special consideration when evidence of matching suitability is provided.
Please send us your detailed application (covering letter, curriculum vitae and as complete a description as possible of your academic and professional career to-date, certificate copies, proof of employment and any other applicable documents) in electronic form only, as a single PDF file (max. size 5 MB), by no later than 9 April 2020 to email@example.com.
Your application documents will be deleted 6 months after the application procedure has been completed.